Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thing 12: Rollyo


Cosy
Originally uploaded by tvossphotography

I really wanted to like Rollyo. And it got a such long list of praise from various tech sites and magazines that clearly I would be missing out on something if I didn't use it. But while I was reading the description of it, I have to admit that I just didn't get what made it so special. But I still wanted to like it.

For those of you who are not in the know, Rollyo lets you create a list of trusted sites to use when you do a search on the web. I signed up and created my list of local news organizations, and then I did a search on "Howard County Library." Then I went back to 23 Things and saw that I was supposed to include a link to my search roll. But I did not check the box to make it public. I couldn't find a way to retroactively make the search public.

So I thought I would just quickly and easily create a new search roll on a different topic that would be public. When I went to do that, I started having problems with the site and was in an eternal loop. I could only see the top half of the "create a searchroll" page. After I entered in my trusted sites, I couldn't get to the button to create the roll. So I would click on "create new searchroll" and it would clear the choices I had made, but I could still only see the top half of the page. Maybe that's why they call it rollyo?

I really wanted to like it. But I think I'm still a google gal.

No comments: